Wrestling Fact Or Fiction
October 18, 2013
It’s that time again. As per the usual, I “borrowed” most of the questions from 411mania.com/wrestling. I added a couple of my own as well. And now, let’s crank this mutha up! Let’s do this…
1. You are excited for Sunday’s TNA Bound for Glory PPV.
FICTION: TNA has done a lousy job of building and promoting this pay per view. All everyone is talking about with TNA is will they stay in business and is Hogan staying or going. No one and I mean no one is talking or thinking about the show on Sunday. That’s bad because it’s going to be a good show most likely, but no one cares and that’s all TNA’s fault.
2. With Shawn Michaels being introduced as the special referee at Hell in a Cell, WWE is setting up for a Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels match at WrestleMania XXX.
FICTION: HBK says he’s retired and not getting back into the ring. I believe him. He’s going to be around and working in different capacities with the company, but as a wrestler in the ring, wrestling… it’s not going to happen.
3. Due to the contract status of AJ Styles, Bully Ray retaining the TNA World Title at Bound for Glory would be the right thing to do.
FICTION: Put a great match on and have the right man to carry TNA along is the right thing to do. It doesn’t matter if it’s Bully or AJ – get the fans interested and people talking about TNA again. AJ may not have a contract at the moment, but he’s not going to bail on TNA and go anywhere so just have the right person win. Do what’s right for business.
4. John Cena returning to challenge for the World Title at Hell in a Cell will give a much-needed feel of importance to that title.
FACT: I hate seeing Cena back so soon, but he’s the WWE’s top guy and if he’s challenging for a title, it adds value. That being said, I hope that Del Rio convincingly beats Cena and “puts him out” for a while. Then someone else, like Cody Rhodes, Christian, Mark Henry, Bray Wyatt, etc can move into the title picture and they can do what they do and steal the show, making the title look important, even without Cena being involved.
5. The Ultimate X match at Bound for Glory, featuring Chris Sabin vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Austin Aries vs. Manik vs. Samoa Joe, will steal the show at Sunday’s TNA Bound for Glory PPV.
FACT: With those talents involved, it will be a letdown if it doesn’t steal the show. That’s some damn good talent right there.
6. WWE potentially bringing back Goldberg for a WrestleMania match with Ryback is a good idea.
FACT: People are talking about it and want to see it so make it happen. A match (and win) over Goldberg, if they can put together a great match, could make Ryback’s career and really get him over as one of the “top guys” in the WWE.
7. Due to his issues with injuries over the past two years, Christian’s days as a full time in ring performer for WWE are likely through.
FICTION: I think that Captain Charisma has at least one / two more good runs in him and his spot as a top mid-card / main eventer is secure. I know the injuries are taking their toll and that clock is ticking where Christian makes the move to agent / trainer, but I’m hoping that those days are still far, far away…
8. Even though they were reportedly the standouts of the latest tryout camp, the WWE will not sign Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards.
FACT: They’re on the radar now and their time will come, but I just don’t think that Richards and Edwards are what the WWE needs. They have a ton of great talent waiting right now in Orlando ready to move up to the main roster and until some of those talents are worked out of developmental, there just isn’t a place or room to really devote the time to bring Richards and Edwards around to the WWE way of doing things. It’ll happen, but just not now.
9. Despite reports that the WWE offered Hulk Hogan a lowball offer, he will end up leaving TNA and resigning with the WWE.
FACT: Hogan is not an idiot and despite the lower money offer, WWE still offers far more options for the “Hulkster” to take advantage of and use to extend his career. TNA is a sinking ship and WWE is the “Queen Mary”. Hogan has money, but his ego needs to be stroked and though the money isn’t as good, the chance to be a part of Wrestlemania XXX and be an “Ambassador” for the WWE will end up being too tough to resist.
10. Sting will end up facing Undertaker at Wrestlemania XXX.
FICTION: As a nostalgia match, that would be great. And it wouldn’t surprise me to see Sting make the jump before his career ends and make a WWE run, albeit a limited one. And if that happens, he’s going to work Taker at some point. But Sting’s contract doesn’t come up until December and I think that, like Hogan, TNA will make a hard effort to keep him securely in place with their company. They need him. WWE, although they want him, do not really need “the Icon”. So Sting will negotiate, eventually sign with the WWE, but far too late to be the Taker’s opponent. But the night after Wrestlemania, after Taker has gone on to another win and keeping the steak alive, look for the Stinger to pop up and make his presence felt. And then, the build for the dream match of Sting versus Undertaker will truly begin.
And that’s all for me. I’m gone.